Gateway is a game mode that is unlocked at level 42. It consists of two separate Challenge Gates:
The Challenge Abyss is where players can fight various bosses of Conquest, Crusade, and The Seal. Some of these bosses have unit limitations on them. They require use of a normal or elite summon scroll to start up a fight. The fight only lasts for one try (unless you force end the game via task manager), so if you fail, you won't be able to retry it.
If your heros are reasonably powerful, you will not need to bring other units. Remember to keep a unit in the back formation so both castle and fort can obtain rewards! You can still bring units along to speed up kills for some bosses.
Magic Dragon Dorck
Summon Scrolls & Rewards
Normal Summon Scroll
Normal Summon Scrolls can be obtained from all levels in The Seal. In Conquest, it is only obtained on level 39 of Snowcloak Cliff. Normal Summon Scrolls give you the following bosses:
- Magic Dragon Dorck - enemies include a level 2 Magic Dragon Dorck and six Shaman Priests. Shamans cannot be used in this fight.
- Stone Giant - enemies include three level 3 Stone Giants followed up by five rows of Holy Priests that heal 420 per cast. Shamans cannot be used in this fight.
- Dark Templar - enemies include three level 1 Dark Templars behind five rows of Skeletal Archers with 1800 hitpoints and 30 pierce damage.
- Swamp Dragon - enemies include a Swamp Dragon with six Shaman Priests. While the gimmick of this map is that the only units allowed to be placed are Shamans, new units can also placed. This currently applies to the Ghost Assassin.
Elite Summon Scrolls
Elite Summon Scrolls are stronger scrolls only obtainable from The Seal. The fights are more stronger in this set.
- Medusa - enemies include Medusa and six Shaman Priests. The forward formation has flame traps in the second and forth rows.
- Colossus - enemies include Colossus and six Shaman Priests. Shamans cannot be used on this level.
- Berserk Dololo - only Berserk Dololo is in this fight. There are frost traps in the forward formation.
- Fire Giant - only the Fire Giant is in this fight (level 6).
Note: In this case, these are dropped by all the bosses except Dorck. Sea Stones are dropped by all except Dololo and the Fire Giant.
- Crystal Dust
- Dark Crystal
- Sea Stones
Magic Dragon Dorck
- Dragon Orb lv. 1 fragment
- Magic Spar
- Rune Fragments
- Giant's fist lv. 1 fragment
- Temple Sword lv. 1 fragment
- Poison Fang lv. 1 fragment
- Medusa's Eye lv. 1 fragment
- Colossal Staff lv. 1 fragment
- Dololo's Helmet lv. 1 fragment
- Fancy Pet Food
- Giant Fists lv. 1 fragment
- Fancy Pet Food
The Dark Lair is a challenge gate. The game provides the player with random sets of units that are used against a large wave of enemies (12 formations). You can reroll the units the game provides you five times per day. If you do not use those units, on the next day, they will be removed and you will be able to roll again without penalty. Units provided are not taken from your castle/fort.
Enemies include Mummies, Mummified Dogs, Shadow Wolfs and Skeletal Archers, which are significantly stronger here then encountered elsewhere. Initially, the approaching enemies only consist of mummies and mummified dogs; these will get gradually replaced with shadow wolves as you kill more enemies. At the end of the enemy wave there will be a large amount of skeletal archers.
Your attempt is over when the following happens:
- All your units die
- Your wall is destroyed
- All enemies die (practically impossible due to the archers)
- Enemy wall is destroyed
When any of these conditions occur, the game calculates how much dark crystals you obtain. The amount you obtain is based on how much enemies you killed.